For Luxury Labels
Venture a few blocks north of Yorkville to Haute Classics for immaculate second-hand pieces sourced from very tony closets. Chanel, Chloé, Dior and Christian Louboutin (patent sapphire pumps for $270 instead of $700-plus) are priced in the hundreds, rather than the thousands.
946 Yonge St., 416-922-7900.
Parkdale’s House of Vintage has outstanding men’s garb—a rarity on the old-is-new circuit. Dudes can put together a Michael Caine Alfie look with ankle boots ($60) and a Pierre Cardin blazer ($50).
1239 Queen St. W., 416-535-2142.
For LITTLE KIDS
Bumbleberry Kids in the Beach is as well curated as a downtown boutique but as cheap as a suburban outlet. Sizes run from newborn to 6, and everything—one-piece snowsuits ($20–$50), boots (Uggs are $6) and precious little peacoats ($30)—is in top condition.
1908 Queen St. E., 416-691-5556.
Of Ossington’s thrift shops, I Miss You is the best for belts, bags, baubles and shoes. The glam (but not costumey) array includes pumps that could’ve walked off the feet of Rita Hayworth (around $30), fur stoles from the pre–paint protest days ($100 and up) and Hermès scarves for $235.
63 Ossington Ave., 416-916-7021.
For Reconstructed Duds
Among the old-school gems at chic Tabula Rasa: Katharine Hepburn-esque silken blouses ($40) and high-waisted pencil skirts ($35–$45); also, grandpa cardigans ($35–$50) and mini-berets ($50–$60) made of reworked old fabrics.
745 Broadview Ave., 416-465-4450.
Good Stuff Cheap 2011 articles:
- 100 items under $10
- Four standout dinner dates for penny pinchers
- 11 selections for a kick-ass and low-cost charcuterie plate
- Three great wines for recession hangovers
- How to make your own soda water
- A massive mirror for a modest cost
- Nine of the city’s best foods for under $6
- How to glam up a parlour on a not-so-huge budget
- The best deals for kids’ favourites
- Hit the fashion zeitgeist with this fuzzy, furry trio
- Ladies and gentlemen, here’s how to put together a party outfit for under $200
- Three genuine refuges where guys can get their groom on—cheaply
- Six designer sample sales that make lining up seem entirely sane
- Want an iPhone? Here’s how to make one (sort of)
- Three cameras that hit the mark for under $500
- Five genius ways to save on everyday technology
- Three unbeatable go-to spots for home improvement