Name: Nespresso Boutique Bar
Contact Info: 159 Cumberland St., nespresso.com, 1-855-325-5781
Owner: Nespresso Canada
Chef: Jean-Charles Dupoire, also the chef and owner of bistros Le Kensington and Loire
The Place: A posh café, retail showroom and dazzling art deco cathedral devoted to the world’s most popular legal stimulant. Behind the modular leather chairs and café tables, gleaming espresso machines double as decor on museum-style recessed shelves. On the back wall, a Pantone spectrum of coloured coffee capsules reaches almost to the ceiling.
The Food: Simple French breakfast and lunch dishes, like a mushroom–goat cheese quiche and a Croque Monsieur sandwich with truffle bechamel and gooey gruyère. Six dollars buys an espresso and a dainty petit four.
The Drinks: Cappuccinos, lattes and other espresso-based beverages made with 21 espresso capsules of varying intensities.
• 14,122 square feet
• $1000 for the priciest Nespresso machine, the Gran Maestria Aluminum, which comes with a built-in cup heater
• 21 different coloured espresso capsules of varying intensities
• $6 for an espresso and a petit four
• 1 iPad bar
• 1 on-site recycling depot (for aluminum coffee capsules)
• 0 disposable coffee cups—the café is drink-in only